Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Monday Funday

Rainbow on the road...
      SO for Hannah's first day at Samsula Academy (Monday), we were greeted on the road by a beautiful rainbow. I'd say that was an awesome sign that the right decision was made to transfer her! Her father and I took her into the office and filled out the paperwork and then her teacher came down and picked her up while we finished and bought her the Friday Spirit t-shirt and extra uniform shirts. We were just wrapping up when the Principal came out of the office and keyed up the mic and started the morning announcements. She started out with a little old fashioned thing we like to call the Pledge of Allegiance! Jeremy and I both turned and stared at each other until
                                                      we gathered our wits about us and then placed our hands over our
                                                      hearts and joined in. Afterwards, we talked about how the public schools are no longer allowed to say the Pledge and then the lovely lady at the front desk asked, "They don't say it at the old school?" We both politely replied no and said that she hadn't had to say the Pledge since preschool. (She went to Episcopal and Methodist preschools prior.) On the way home we continued talking about how incredible it was to have her going to an old fashioned school (established in 1912) that still had family values and where they taught the children pride in their country, discipline, wore uniforms and are not so busy trying to be politically correct that they won't allow the phrase, "One nation, under God.." to be said in reference to the country we ALL live in for fear of "insulting" someone. When our children go overseas and attend school, they are expected to learn the traditions of the host country, so why are children that come here not expected to give us the same courtesy? I am a tolerant, loving person. I believe that every religion should be allowed to practice their traditions (safely, not harming other living creatures)... personally, my religious preference leans towards Wiccan because I am part Native American and it is the belief that most fits me. I still believe that the Pledge should be said. If one doesn't call God "God", then let him or her replace it silently with the Deity name of their choice. Doesn't affect or harm anyone else. But let them be proud of their country or the country that they now reside in. Children are not born with hate or intolerance in their hearts anymore than they are born with a rebellious or argumentative nature. They learn this from the people that raise them and their environments.
Hannah's first day! Friends already!
      These are some of the wonderful students of Samsula Academy and they are full of joy, pride in their school, respect for their teachers, love in their hearts and get involved in their community. I only wish that ALL kids got to experience this kind of education and fun. I'm proud to be a part of this exceptional sense of small town community. Can't wait for the Fall Festival and the 100th Birthday celebration!
     I have been searching for that small, "Main Street America" town like Star's Hollow in the show, "Gilmore Girls". I think I might have found the closest thing I will ever find to that near home. I'm interested in hearing about other such small towns around the country, so PLEASE! If you live in or near a town like that, drop  me a line and let me know! I would love to hear about
SO wanted to bring her home!
               your town and I'd love to see some pictures!
                     The final icing on the cake of the day was when the mom's
               brought puppies for all of us to coo over at the pick up circle!
               LOL....I LOOOOOVE puppies! We all do! This one is a little
               five week old female Jack Russell pup! She even managed a
              smile for the camera!
                       After all this "inspiration", I'm starting to work on some   cute little skull pins for Halloween and as I get them a little more completed, I'll post some photos. I have many more products coming up for the holidays as well, so please check out my Etsy store and see how cute they are! I'm looking forward to doing most of my Christmas shopping on Etsy...that is, for the things that I don't make myself! My family and I love sharing handmade gifts so we try and do that as much as we possibly can. Sometimes it's impossible for the nephews who are both computer gurus! Since I can't yet make a motherboard, a silicon chip, a CPU or smelt my own metal, I'll have to stick to monetary donations for them. My niece, however, is a country girl at heart and loves handmade gifts that reflect her personal and unique style and has genuinely loved every gift I think I have ever made her! (Also, she loves when I give her art supplies!) Well, that's all I know for today. Please have a great and fabulously awesome week! Friday here is a school holiday so Hannah and I are looking forward to a day of Mommy and Me Creativity time. Hope you get to have yours as well. Paint, draw and get your hands a little messy! Peace! xo
               

No comments:

Loveliest Garden

Loveliest Garden
"Loveliest Garden", Encaustic mixed media collage