Wednesday, September 5, 2012

When I want my words to take flight I give them wings...

      I have always been an artistic soul. My Grandfather taught me to sketch and when I was a child, he would take me to the store and buy me art supplies...German pencil sets, Sakura watercolor sets, pads of drawing paper--the good kind--and acrylic paints. Most kids would head straight for the toy aisles, I would take him by the hand and lead him straight to the art supplies. Lol Those are the most awesome memories...my mom is a wonderful artist as well. If I needed help getting the anatomy of a horse just so, she would patiently help me erase and start ove until I got it to look right. She would let me buy whatever horse book (or dog book, or cat book or...) I wanted so that I could learn all I wanted to know about whatever I was interested in. They were "enablers", if you will. Somewhere in the 8th or 9th grade I discovered boys, heartbreak, hormones and emotions....I started writing poetry and song lyrics and those would accompany my photographs or pictures torn from magazines. I would also write stories (I did that even as a child...as soon as I learned to write.) that would be these wonderful, fantastic journeys into the imagination of a little girl obsessed with horse stories. In 9th grade, I finished an entire book of poetry that I turned in for my English journal. My teacher wanted me to start making submissions to a greeting card company. I never did anything of the sort and by high school I had moved on to more photography and parties. Typical teen girl.
     After many turns in the road of life and many jobs and endeavors, I have turned back to my first love of writing and art and and I am finally discovering my niche in the world. Between morning cups of tea on my front porch, walking the dog, taking care of my chickens , loving my daughters unconditionally and having my very own studio space to work in at home and think in whenever I choose, my life is finally full and I find myself exhausted but happy. I'll be 43 in just over four months and I don't feel (on most days) my age at all. Don't push your shortcomings off on the people that try to love you. Love and be loved. Always keep believing in the fairytale!

No comments:

Loveliest Garden

Loveliest Garden
"Loveliest Garden", Encaustic mixed media collage